Friday, October 28, 2011

A Visit From Murphy...and Santa Claus

Murphy's Law
 Loosely translated and borrowing heavily from Finagle's Law
means:

"Anything that can go wrong, will."


It's been a wild ride at ye old Bellymonster homestead. To long-story-short things, that dang Murphy  popped by for a visit, leaving an expensive mess in his wake.
It started with the furnace:

Furnace guy came. Shook head, sadly, eyeing our 42-year-old furnace. Whistled - in bad way - when he saw our chimney. Turned his palm up in an apologetic way and said he reckoned it'd be cheaper to simply start anew.

Sigh.

 I cringed, waiting for  the estimate to replace the furnace. Winced when it came. Mark did more than wince. In fact, I'm fairly certain I saw him wipe a tear from his suddenly alarmingly pale face:



We discussed things all weekend long, trying to figure out where we can cut back to see our way around financing a new furnace. On Monday, Mark called from work:


Sigh.

Yep. The WHEEL FELL OFF THE CAR! Thankfully, it happened as Mark turned into the driveway at work and not whilst he was sailing up the 401, but still. We were hoping to get one more winter out of the ol' girl. Alas...



Later that week, I received a second furnace quote - from a man who looked like Santa Claus (without the beard) and who immediately offered to bring some electric heaters by while we made up our minds.

That pretty much made up our minds, so I arranged to have an environmental audit done so that we could take advantage of government rebates, set to end in early 2012.

Spent the rest of the week bemoaning our crummy luck and waiting for the sky to fall.

Gah. Argh. Blah, indeed.

Murphy, in case you didn't know, also likes to sprinkle mischief in threes:

F*cked-up furnace? Check.

Crapped-out car? Check.

I waited. I fretted. I tweeted:



I prayed. But alas...




That Friday, the computer gave one last pitiful chug, a few coughs, a wheeze..


and died.

When Mark came home from work, looking exhausted and stressed out, I greeted him with a smile. But it was enough. He knew. Oh, he knew:


Me: "So, Murphy stopped by earlier."
Mark: "Computer?"
Me: "Yep."
Mark: "Fuck."
Me: "Yep."
Mark: "I need a drink."
Me: "Rye and coke?"
Mark: "Do we have any arsenic?"

Thankfully, we have an awesome friend who provided us with a new-to-us computer and amazingly  generous family, who've  loaned us a car, indefinitely.

On Tuesday, I called Santa Claus (aka. Brian from Rosebush Heating and Cooling) and gave the go-ahead for a new furnace. He cautioned that it might be a few days, as it's a busy time.

 20 minutes later, he rang back:

"My guys'll  be over in about 20 minutes."
Me: Uh, OK. I thought you said it might be a few days?
Santa: I did. I pulled them off another job. I hate the idea of your little boys having to face even one more day of cold.
Me: Wow. Thank you!
Santa: You take care of those boys, Mrs. They're precious.
Me: They are. I will. Thank you.

30 minutes later, I posted this on Facebook:



I called Mark at work:

"The furnace people just showed up!"
"Seriously? I thought he said..."
"He did! But he hated the thought of the Reds being cold and sent his crew here straight away."
"Wow."
"That's what I said!"
"I guess Santa Claus came to town early, eh?"


Indeed.


*And you? Got any Murphy's Law fiascos to share? Who's YOUR Santa Claus?*

9 comments:

  1. Oh. My.

    As you know, Murphy loves to stalk me, especially on vacation.

    And he has visited almost every one of my appliances.

    Ironically, the guy who came to look at my fridge also looked like Santa - with the beard.

    Sadly, their was nothing he could do, and he pronounced the days left of my fridge numbered until the compressor finally dies.

    I have yet to find a suitable replacement, so I have not been able to freeze anything other than water for months.

    So yes, I know Murphy.

    I'm so glad Santa came early this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, believe me, I thought of you several times during this entire (mis)adventure. If anyone knows for Murphy, I thought, it's Kelly!

    Hope the Fridge Fairy pops by your place before Murphy gets back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for helping me count my blessings today, Belly. While I've got my own brand of Murphy to deal with, I just counted the wheels on each car...all accounted for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a pleasure to help you count blessings, my darling. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey, Murphy has had a field day with me these past few years. I won't drone on and on about it. But oy, that furnace story of yours scares me to death!
    And the wheel-off-car.
    How wonderful that someone is loaning you guys a car, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're admittedly VERY lucky to have such generous spirits around us. Am hoping that Murphy is satisfied with the havoc he wrought here and will move along. Will direct him awaaaayyy from you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Liz, that sucks!
    But wow, I teared up at Santa bringing you heaters and pulling strings to get you your furnace. There really are good people in the world still. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many good people out there. Here in Belleville, especially, it seems. We've landed in the right place!

    We are very, very lucky!

    ReplyDelete