Saturday, November 10, 2012

Words to Love By...

T'is the week of awesomeness here at Life With Bellymonster. To recap:

On Wednesday, I met God. At McDonald's. He was wearing a nice sweater, lovely slacks and a wedding band. In one hand, he held his wife's, in the other, a cup of coffee. From His heart, he offered up words of  hope to a woman in need.

This morning, I bumped into Santa Claus at my son's hockey game. Pretty sure it was him: white beard, red hat, twinkly eyes, rounded belly...

When the man in red leaned past me to wink a "hello" to Luke, Luke's eyes went huge and he froze on the spot. Chuckling, I turned to my gaze to smile at the man as he settled down next to me:

 "I guess you hear all the time that you look like Santa, eh?"

The man smiled and patted my hand. "My dear," he leaned close to whisper, "I AM Santa!"

For a moment - one brief, incredible, magical moment - I thought, "Santa! It IS you!"

(And, "God and Santa in the same week? What are the chances?)

Santa Claus! (courtesy of Pinterest)

We talked about all kinds of things, the jolly old elf man and I: the Reds, hockey, his accent, his love of children and fear of technology. We laughed at his hat and the faces of children and grown-ups as they spotted him - young and old alike, a look of wonder crossed many of their faces before they blinked and shook their heads before moving on, smiling.

 For 1/2 an hour we sat with our heads together, discussing my college program (training to support people with disabilities) and the wondrous journey that brought him to Ontario from the east, many years ago....to support people with disabilities.

Coincidence? Maybe.

But....maybe not.

A little while later, I posted about the happy encounter on Facebook and was delighted and gratified to see how many of friends "liked" the tale and how many responded happily to it. Just sharing a little bit of Christmas magic, I wrote to one friend, who'd messaged me privately to say "Thanks for that!"

And then into my inbox, came another message. This one was from an old friend who I've not seen face-to-face in 20 or more years, but whose life I watch with pleasure, via Facebook.

This is what she wrote:


Hi Liz!
I just wanted to leave u a little note. There are times when my days are well... Lets not go there but reading ur posts make me smile, laugh, always heartwarming, and sometimes tearful. Your an amazing women to share all ur tidbits because u are funny as hell!! You know just what to say! Just want to let you know u have inspired me. In the small ways u express yourself.
When I saw you were going back to school I too have decided to go back. ( hopefully I get admissions ;-) I just wanted to let you know keep it ur amazing and inspiring.
Xo
Ps hope this wasn't too awkward ... But I just wanted you to know ur post about God and Santa really just made my day!!


Jo xo


I don't share her words here to toot my own horn, but rather to show once more and the best way I know how, that the words we use - and the way in which we use them - can and do have an awesome, incredible, sometimes transformative power.

I have never been more aware of or focused on the power of words than I have been this week. Practically every encounter I've had during the past seven days has left me pondering the conversation long after it ended.I have been marveling over the profound effect we have on others when we speak our truth, call "Hello!" offer our thanks, our prayers, type a status, publish a blog post, a comment, a manifesto, when we whisper, "I need help," or "You hurt me," or  say "I love you."

And because I've had such amazing conversations - with God, Santa, in real life and via the 'net - I want to keep them going. Let me, dear readers, thank YOU for being such a strangely intimate and wonderful  part of my life and my family.

 If we're friends on Facebook, let me know in the comments HERE and I promise that - between now and year's end - I will send you some cyber love, via your inbox.

If I follow you on Twitter, comment HERE and  I'll tweet you 140 characters about why I'm happy you're my tweep.

(If we're connected by both, pick Facebook, OK? I tend to ramble on, as you know, so will need more space in which to do so...)

Let me tell you the story of how our friendship was born...



Who's in? Pass it on!


16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through twitter! Then over tons of sweet sweats and wine! Then..lets not forget the parent group at QP!! Im happy to know such a kind and positive person that is you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love readng your posts. I have gone throught them all, laughing and crying... Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All, Anon? ALL of them? Holy crap. You're getting a love letter AND a crate of Baileys...just as soon as you tell me who you are! ;)

      Love,
      Belly

      Delete
  4. I love reading your stories. You have such a flare for writing (I'm a little jealous)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never you mind, Jenn...I'm a little jealous of your sticking-with chops and your determination.

      Love is on the way to you!

      xo

      Delete
  5. I love your blog and you...I wish I was more like you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safer, I...godess, sweet godess, I have pushed "send" on my love letter. Read it. Believe it. Know it.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next week come by and visit and the awesomeness will continue :)
    I'm hiding the REAL Easter bunny!!!!!
    Heather (facebook )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we're friends on both Facebook and Twitter! And I love your blog. Often even through tears, I have a smile on my face. Love you, Biffer. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Biffer, you're one of my dearest friends. Because you are, and because you commented here, I've sent you some love, from afar!

    ReplyDelete