Thursday, May 5, 2011

Conversations With My Mother...

My Mum is pretty incredible. If you've never met her, then you'll have to take my word for it. If you have, then you know what I'm talking about. She's my best friend and I love her to bits.



But sometimes, the two of us together? Make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I've just had the funniest series of phone calls with her about Mother's Day, which is this coming Sunday.

Monday:

Nanny: ...(S)o, your father and I will be at Viamede all weekend, as the house is being painted and will be in a tip.
Belly: Oh. All weekend?
Nanny: Yes.
Belly: Ok. So, shall we plan for Mother's Day another weekend?
Nanny: Yes, I think so.

Wednesday:

Belly: So, you and Dad will be at Viamede for the weekend?
Nanny: No, just on Sunday.
Belly: You're not staying overnight there, because of the painting?
Nanny: No, the painting should be done. It's the mess.
Belly: But are you staying at Viamede at all?
Nanny: No, we're just going for brunch on Sunday.
Belly: The Mother's Day Brunch?
Nanny: Yes.
Belly: The brunch I've taken you to for the past three years?
Nanny: Yes, that one.
Belly: Um....how come you're going with Dad?
Nanny: Because you said that you weren't coming up.
Belly: No, I didn't!
Nanny: Do you WANT to come up?
Belly: Of course!
Nanny: Oh, lovely. You can join us for brunch!


Pause for me to bang my head against the nearest wall, take a deep, steadying breath and smile. This is how it is, sometimes. I don't know if it's me or her, or the both of us but I think it's why my Dad often drinks in our company.


Today (Thursday)

Nanny: I was just thinking that I don't want you to feel obligated to come up. You're a mother too. Don't you want to spend the day with your children?
Belly: Well, no, actually. I want to see YOU. It's Mother's Day. I see my kids every day.
Nanny: But I don't want you to feel obligated. Is it REALLY what you want to do?
Belly: Yes.
Nanny: Won't the kids be disappointed and wondering where you are?
Belly: Well....yessshh. Maybe. Crap. Probably. They made cards.
Nanny: Are you SURE you want to come up here?
Belly: Well I was, until this phone call.
Nanny: You're a mother now, too. I would love to see you, but we can celebrate anytime.
Belly: Ummm...you're right....
Nanny: So, why don't you think about it and call me?
Belly: Crap. Ok.
Nanny: Love you, darling. Looking forward to hearing from you.


God, I love her. This dance we do - it's magic. Crazy magic, but magic nonetheless.



And you? What are the steps of your mother-child dance?

4 comments:

  1. I love that the pic looks like Big red is going crazy (or maybe I am the only one who makes those hand gestures when I am going crazy...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The craziness is passed down. On the maternal side! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dance indeed. I am laughing. You tell it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant duologue... I'm guessing your Mum doesn't peruse your blog; although she already lives a life with Belly Monster so why would she need to...lol.

    ReplyDelete