Monday, May 19, 2014

Birthday Letter for Bamboo

Dear Bamboo,

Happy Birthday! You would have been 36, if you were still here. Maybe you still are 36, up there beyond everything.

Down here, we've spent some time getting ready to plant your garden - it's looking rather lonely, without colour and bright. Apt, really, since that's how it feels without you here on this glorious May long weekend.

Still, Dad cooked steaks last night and Mum made Caesar salad and in a little while, the Reds and I shall go and get cake makings because Mum only has fancy-cake stuff and frankly, you wouldn't like it. See how I just made that decision on your behalf, all bossy-like? I know, right? Some things just don't change.

The Reds asked about a zillion questions about you last week, when I told them that your birthday was coming up. I may have cried, especially when Matthew pointed out a black Blazer, remarked on its resemblance to yours (Seriously? He was 3 when you died, how does he remember?) and then announced that he's getting one when he turns 16. Right after he gets a motorcycle.Oh, yeah, he's your nephew, for sure.
Luke says, "Andrew looks cute like that! Mummy looks like a boy."



And that Luke - oh, Bam, you'd love him. He's ornery and hilarious, all at the same time. And a few weeks ago, he got into some tar. Yes, yes he did. And I didn't wash it off - well, not all of it - just so I could keep you close a little bit longer. Asshats, both of you. Ha!

Everyone's still sleeping here at the moment, except Molly the Dog, who is also an asshat but she's cute so I keep her. Mum says that she (Molly) reminds her of your Roxy and I'll be darned - she does me, too. It must be the Rottweiler in both girls. In any case, I'm glad that Molly is with us this weekend (though if that gets out, I'll deny it like crazy) as she has provided some comic relief and it's lovely to see her, roaming happily with the Reds. You'd love her.

Last year's planting session - turns out, pink and yellow are fan favourites...
Scratch that, little brother - the troops are stirring. I'm not the only one up and about now, which means, I'll have to sign off now. We've got flowers to plant and memories to share and of course, cake to eat. It'll be chocolate, in case you're wondering.

I love you, Bam. I miss you, more as the years pass, which I didn't expect, but there it is. I wish you joy and happy today and always.

Love,
Libis

11 comments:

  1. That's beautiful Liz. I'm thinking about you and can't imagine how hard it must be to be without your brother. Writing your wonderful stories must help so much. I enjoy reading about you and your family and I remember you always writing at Heavy Haulers on our long night shifts, sitting at table one. I am very fortunate to have my brothers and sister in my life. My brother Nicky(remember him?) is picking me up soon and i'm going with him and his family(he has 3 boys!) to my brother Kerry's place in Bethany. Take care Liz and keep on writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen! I love that you're reading, especially as you knew Andrew and he lived in your house for a time, didn't he? Good bones, great light. I hope you've had a lovely day with your family - I DO remember Nicky, and chuckled that you still call him that! You are fortunate, but you've always known that and never taken their love for granted, nor the closeness your family shares. It's a gift. xxx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a celebration of a cherished life that this weekend brought…what a wonderful way to remember and honour your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sabrina. It is indeed a celebration and I'm glad that it has become our new tradition!! Thanks for reading! xxx

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to remember your brother and help your children get to know him. I hope the day was healing xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this story and was really emotional at the end. I like such stories that relate to real life and emotions. One such story is here that I had read earlier - http://lovemakesway.blogspot.in/2014/05/love-never-dies.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tribute to your brother. I lost mine when he was 37. He would be almost 51 now. The last decades of his life were hard ones that left our family shattered in many ways. When I think of him, I always go back to before the worst days so that the memories can be happy and warm. I love that you have happy memories to share with your kids. Hope it was a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Major Nelson interjected, declaring, It adjustments every little thing.It will modify every thing,Inch Spencer included. Pertaining to Spencer, the thing that makes the Xbox 360 A single so powerful could be that the field is a really multipurpose system, making it possible for consumers to jump through online games to reside in as well as ondemand content with the particular press of the mouse button. And i quickly take into consideration video games because truly turning up like a firstclass way of enjoyment for everybody. Simply because prior to, I used to be genuinely both on my small Xbox as well as I became probably on my own Comcast Television set package,In .
    Cheap fifa 15 coins

    Fut 15 coins

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband was so smooth at hiding her infidelity and I had no proof for months, I saw a recommendation about a Private investigator and decided to give him a try.. the result was incredible because all my cheating husbands text messages, whatsapp, facebook and his phone conversations was sent directly to my Personal computer. Mr James helped me put a round-the-clock monitoring on him and I got concrete evidence and gave it to my lawyer..I say no to infidelity if your husband is an expert at hiding his cheating adventures contact him through Gmail he will help you(Worldcyberhackers) or WhatsApp : +12678773020

    ReplyDelete